Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Sydney vs Melbourne

There was an article in The Age last weekend giving a travel guide on Sydney. The writter evidently does not like Sydney which shone through loud and clear in the negative undertone of the article. The only positive thing he/she had to say was that Sydney has better drivers, which by the way, I agree with but thats besides the point.

What really baffles me is the line "....we are supposed to snear at Sydney with the equal sneerability Sydney applies to us." Since moving to Melbourne I have gathered that this is a very common notion, however every Sydneysider I have ever spoken too doesnt really mind Melbourne (or Melbournians) and indeed quite like the city??? Where has this one sided distain for Sydney come from?

Anyway, from my point of view you shouldnt even try to compare the two cities because they are so different in size, location and atmosphere...I think their both great and Melbournians should get over it and enjoy!!!

Sydney: emerald-city-or-zircon-town?

No comments: