Monday, March 06, 2006

Day 3: the long walk

Everyone else set of bright and early for the 17 km trek today, but we decided to take it easy having a nice sleep-in and a big breaky. Another beautiful sunny day it turned out to be and a relatively easy walk. I had a very close encounter with a large Tiger snake along the way, just after lunch I set off leading the pack and to my surprise and I'm assuming its as well I came face-to-face with a large and very black snake, I promptly screamed and ran the other direction and it did the same (minus the screaming). From then on I was in middle of the group and on guard..toward the end of the trip I read that only one person in 60 years has died from a snake bite, if I'd known that earlier I would have been more relaxed, but in any case I didnt want to be no. 2.
The start of day 2 walking, we ended up in the distance somewhere

Pellion hut...I could happily live there.The day ended with a lovely swim in the river and a beautiful sunset.

No comments: